Sometimes the cost and hassle of a traditional night out on the town make the idea of another night relaxing in front of the tube look pretty appealing.
Last Christmas we decided the perfect gift for a spouse who has everything was quality time together. We each came up with 26 mini date ideas: enough to fill a year of Mini Date Mondays.
Each date had to be free or cheap and had to be something we could do at home after the Little Miss was tucked in bed.
Our Mini Date Monday Date List
- Paper airplane contest
- S’mores on the BBQ
- Carve our initials in the apple tree
- YouTube ballroom dancing lesson
- Try to make espressos
- Craft for the house
- Make mug cakes
- Mamauana. Do I need to explain it?
- NHL (if it exists in our house)
- Do some gardening
- Make cookies. Only one person can see the instructions and the other person can talk.
- Make crepes
- Sketch each others profile
- Give each other tattoos with a marker
- Backyard picnic
- Take a picture tour through Iceland
- Massage date
- Do a Rock Band world tour
- Get holiday cards ready in advance
- Boardgame (like Scrabble)
- Read our wedding book
- Build a puzzle
- Lattes with a special flavor we find in our kitchen
- Relax on the back porch
- Plan a dream trip
- Scrabble match
- Make a photo album of Little Miss
- Build a snow family
- Fry up some donuts
- Logic puzzles
- Tie our ankles together for the rest of the night
- Fancy tea date
- Build an awesome fort
- Find the best campsite/hotel in the world
- Learn some constellations
- YouTube couple’s yoga
- Look at Little Miss’ picture book and fill in some of her baby books
- Double bubble bath
- Popcorn and a movie
- Basement camping
- Pick out an Iceland adventure tour to take on our next trip
- Try to invent a mug brownie
- Figure out what to put in our wills
- Card games (Go Fish or something harder)
- Learn some Icelandic phrases (i.e. I love you)
- Darts: first to get a bull’s eye gets a kiss
- Make a travel picture book
- Mug cakes
- Franz Ferdinand dance party
- mini golf date
Five Things We Learned From Mini Date Mondays
- We enjoy the same types of things. Did you see all those duplicates?
- We have accumulated a lot of entertaining stuff that we should use more.
- A little healthy competition doesn’t hurt.
- Your neighbors will laugh at you when they catch you climbing over our snowbanks with a pocket knife on your way to carving your initials in the frozen tree on your front lawn.
- We shouldn’t stress out if we miss a week or we can’t communicate well enough to make cookies. Enjoying our time together is what counts.
What about You?
Has this list given you any good ideas that you can use?
Do you have a successful cheap date?
If you’ve got kids, how do you fit in alone time?
I don’t want this blog to get put on any naughty lists, so please keep the comments PG!
If you enjoy my blog, Follow Me!
If you liked this post, Share It!